Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Being the Change

I gave a talk at the International Human Rights Training Program in Montreal yesterday. I have loaded both an HTML version and an MSWord version of my talk on my website. I was presenting along with Chrysogone Zougmore, the Secretary General of the Mouvement Burkinabe des Droits de l'Homme et des Peuples (MBDHP) from Burkina Faso.

Chrysogone and i were talking about the relationship between human rights education and advocacy. My three principle points were:
  • There is no such thing as neutral education and no such thing as a neutral educator
  • All education is advocacy – though not all advocacy is education
  • Education is the act of engaging common sense persuasively in order together to create good sense and change bad sense.
The IHRTP is a unique human rights training program run by the Canadian Human Rights Foundation. You educators out there might be interested in their training manual - check it out.

No comments: