From the CD:
- GURULI MAQRULI - This wedding song from the
features the intricate Gurian yodeling technique krimanchuli: "We are the bridal party! We are bright, and we are beautiful! Open the door to the wine cellar!" provinceof Guria
- KEBADI - An example of Georgian Orthodox lithurgy from Guria. "From the rising of the sun..."
- AZAMAT - A dance song from the
. On this recording you will hear chonguri, two panduri and bani panduri. provinceof Abkhaseti
From an recording for the CBC Amateur Choir Competition:
- TSMINDAO GHMERTO - Georgian Orthodox hymn from the
. "Holy God, Holy Almighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy upon us." provinceof Kartli
- ADILOI - A horse riding song from the
. "I am sitting on my black horse, well-seated in the saddle. I kicked the dust off my boots and rode to provinceof Imereti ." Tbilisi
From an amateur minidisc recording of a 2003 Darbazi concert:
- IMERULI SATRPIALO - A love song from Imereti. "... woman, love of my heart, why don't you return my love? You set me on fire, my murderer, my close neighbour. Woman, I'll come to you, embrace you. The country's eyes are on you, Kristina with the beautiful eyes. Hear my prayer for you."
Friday, May 18, 2007
Georgia in Toronto: Darbazi
Over ten years ago a Georgian choir got started in Toronto. Called Darbazi, i had a few friends in the choir and saw a few of their first performances. It's been a while and i've heard occasional word of their performances and travels. I'm reminded of them now, not surprisingly, due to my recent travels. The Darbazi History page has a nice account of their origins as well as a couple of their trips to Georgia - lotsa nice photos as well. They also have a recordings page that has six mp3's on it - worth listening to: