I know of three excellent sources of human rights education material: Equitas, the Human Rights Resource Center of the University of Minnesota Human Rights Center and The Council of Europe. Each if these organizations has numerous manuals and education resources and in each case you've gotta dig down into their websites to find things. And the Council of Europe website is a baffling maze. Within these manuals you'll find hundreds of education activities on human rights, of course, but they also include numerous group activities, energizers, games and more. All of this is easily adaptable to other educational contexts. So, here are links directly to a variety of manuals.
- The International Human Rights Training Program 2006 - This is the manual of the annual training program Equitas has done for many years. It's a three-week course and this manual has been designed strongly based on a Freirian education model and with a very good participatory ethic. I've been a facilitator at this event and can vouch for the effectiveness of Equitas' pedagogy. On this page you'll find PDFs of both the facilitator and participant manuals in english and french. This page will no doubt be updated with the 2007 manual once this year's event (in June) has happened.
- Training for Human Rights Trainers Book 1 (pdf) and Book 2 (pdf): both of these are excellent train-the-trainer resources and are also available in Russian on this page. In December in Nairobi, i facilitated a version of this program.
- Equitas Manuals: Equitas has a good practice of developing and publishing manuals for the many types of trainings and consultations they do. This page has a wide variety of manuals.
- Human Rights Here and Now
- Economic & Social Justice and as pdf (446K)
- Raising Children withg Roots, Rights & Responsibilities and as pdf (669K)
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Rights
- The Human Rights Education Handbook and as pdf (852K)
- Lifting the Spirits: Human Rights & Freedom of Religion or Belief and as pdf (1,874K)
- The Beyond September 11 Project and as pdf (221K)
- The Activist Handbook on Indigenous Peoples Human Rights (working draft)
- Sustainable Economics Curriculum